Sunday, September 23, 2007

My shining moment

Yes.

One of my favorite people at our newspaper is the man with the title receptionist. He's like a combination janitor/receptionist/body guard/fixer and he is polite, enthusiastic and loves his job, though I'm sure it doesn't pay great.

Every morning when we come in he is in cleaning clothes scrubbing the desks and floors to a high shine. He changes later into formal work wear.

The thing is, however, he achieves that shine with a thick coat of wax that turns the floors into a skating rink. Yesterday I realized that the bottom of my shoes were coated slick. Wow, that's dangerous I said.

And then this morning I forgot that, walked into the conference room with my laptop and fell flat out on my back. I have a budding bruise in a place where it won't be seen but mostly my dignity was hurt.

The receptionist laughed and apologized every time he saw me for the rest of the day.

No comments:

Blog Archive